What to Know Before Your Abdominoplasty in Hamburg
Offered at our convenient location in Hamburg
Abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and tightens the abdominal muscles. The procedure is also known as a tummy tuck.
If you’re considering having an abdominoplasty in Hamburg, Germany, there are a few things you should know beforehand. Here, we’ll discuss the most important things to keep in mind before your procedure, including the decision to undergo surgery, how to prepare, and the recovery period.
In Hamburg, Germany, Dr. Dalia Tobbia is a board-certified plastic surgery specialist who has helped countless patients reclaim their joy and live fuller lives through surgery, and she can help you, too! Call +49 (0) 40 46 091 076 to schedule your consultation to find out if abdominoplasty is right for you.
- 1 The Importance of Consultation
- 2 Making the Decision
- 3 Planning Your Daily Routine
- 4 Knowing What to Expect
- 5 Taking Care of Your Mental Health
- 6 What’s Involved in an Abdominoplasty?
- 7 The Recovery Period
- 8 When Will I See the Results?
- 9 Risks and Complications
- 10 What is the Cost of a Tummy Tuck in Hamburg?
- 11 References
The Importance of Consultation
Your consultation is not just a time to ask questions or a chance for Dr. Dalia Tobbia to examine you, this is also the time when she establishes a rapport with you. It is essential that you feel comfortable with Dr. Tobbia and that you trust her to give you the results you desire.
During your consultation, Dr. Tobbia will ask about your goals for surgery, your medical history, and any allergies or medications you may be taking. She will also examine your abdomen and take measurements.
Afterward, she will sit down with you and discuss the options that are available to you. It is important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to plastic surgery. Dr. Tobbia will tailor your procedure to meet your specific needs and goals.
Once you have decided to move forward with surgery, Dr. Tobbia will give you specific instructions on how to prepare for the procedure. It’s important that you follow these instructions carefully to ensure a successful surgery and recovery.
Making the Decision
Of course, the decision of whether or not to have surgery is a personal one. You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and expectations. Dr. Dalia Tobbia is an expert in Plastic, Aesthetic, and Reconstructive Surgery who also has a focus on breast surgery, Body lifting after weight loss, microsurgery and super microsurgery. With her caring demeanor and concern for the well-being of each patient, she will be able to help you make the best decision for your needs.
Abdominoplasty involves incisions and a recovery process. Here are some helpful tips to get you in the mindset to decide if surgery is right for you at this time:
- Be honest with yourself about your motivation for surgery. Are you considering it for purely personal aesthetic ones? There is no right or wrong answer, but this will help you communicate your goals to Dr. Dalia Tobbia.
- Create a realistic timeline for yourself. When do you really want to have the surgery and how long can you dedicate to recovery? This will help Dr. Tobbia create a treatment plan that fits your schedule.
- Be prepared to discuss your medical history. This includes any surgeries you’ve had in the past, as well as any medications or supplements you’re currently taking.
- Consider the cost. You will need to take some time off work to recover, so it’s important to think about how this will affect you financially.
- Be prepared to follow preparation and aftercare instructions closely. Any deviation could negatively affect your results.
- Finally, you should know that an abdominoplasty is a permanent alteration.
Planning Your Daily Routine
Before undergoing any major surgery, you should plan ahead in other ways as well. For example, if you have young children, you will need to make arrangements for their care while you recover. The same goes for pets.
You should also arrange for help around the house, as you will likely not be able to do much on your own immediately following surgery. Reaching, bending, and stretching will likely be uncomfortable. Ask a friend or family member to help you.You’ll need to take it easy for a while and avoid strenuous activity.
Furthermore, how will you maintain your results? It is helpful to think about your long-term diet choices and exercise routine to keep your waistline in the gorgeous shape Dr. Dalia’s surgery created.
Knowing What to Expect
The first thing you should keep in mind is that abdominoplasty is major surgery. We tend to think of events in terms of the parts we’re most excited about. Perhaps you’ve spent time imagining your new waistline and the clothes you’ll fit into. Maybe you’ve been looking forward to saying goodbye to your stretch marks. It’s important to remember, however, that this is surgery we’re talking about and, as such, it will take time to recover. During your recovery, you will likely experience some discomfort and will need to take it easy for a few weeks.
Taking Care of Your Mental Health
It’s not uncommon for patients to feel down in the weeks after surgery. This is normal, and will likely improve as you heal. Research shows that after 1 month and 6 months,patients see significant improvements in self-esteem, body image, and overall mental health.  Dr. Dalia can help you manage your expectations before surgery and offer resources to help you through the recovery process.
What’s Involved in an Abdominoplasty?
There are different types of abdominoplasty: 
- Mini – Less invasive with a shorter incision and only involves the removal of excess skin from the lower stomach area. Recovery is usually faster.
- Standard – Longer incision from hip-to-hip. Involves the removal of excess skin and fat from the abdominal area. It also tightens the abdominal muscles for women following pregnancy to correct a separation of the musculature known as diastasis recti.
- Abdominoplasty with Liposuction – Dr. Dalia can include liposuction to contour the midline further, or to remove deep fat.
- Circumferential – Circumferential abdominoplasty can help patients who have lost a significant amount of weight by addressing the front and back midline sections.  The incision goes around the entire midsection.
On the day, we will administer anesthesia and prepare you for your surgery. Once the treatment area has been marked, Dr. Tobbia will begin the procedure. After making the incisions, she will proceed to remove the excess tissue. Once she is satisfied with the results, she will then close the incisions and wrap the area in a secure compression garment. The entire surgery usually takes two to three hours to complete, but may take more time if a more extensive technique is required.
After surgery, you will need a ride home. You should also arrange for someone to stay with you the first night following your procedure.
The Recovery Period
It takes a few weeks to recover from an abdominoplasty, and temporary bruising and swelling is to be expected. Your abdomen will be sore and your skin may feel tight. For abdominal muscle repair patients in particular, this means no strenuous activity, lifting heavy objects, or any other movement or activity that could put a strain on your sutures. You will also need to sleep on your back or side to avoid putting pressure on your abdomen.
You will likely experience some discomfort during the recovery period, but this can be managed with pain medication. It’s also normal for patients to feel fatigued and have a decreased appetite.
It’s important to keep your incisions clean and dry during the recovery period. You will also need to wear a compression garment to help with the healing process. Dr. Tobbia will give you specific instructions on how to care for your incisions and when you can expect to start seeing results.
When Will I See the Results?
Most patients see results immediately after surgery, although it may take some time for the swelling to go down and for the incisions to heal. The final results of your surgery will be visible once the healing process is complete, which can take 2-3 months.
It’s important to remember that results vary from patient to patient and that no two bodies are alike. Dr. Tobbia will work hard to give you the results you desire, but there are some aesthetic limitations.At your personal consultation, she will show you examples of results from other patients, and tell you what you can expect from your own surgery.
Risks and Complications
As with any surgery, there are some risks involved. These include bleeding, infection, and reactions to the anesthesia, and the development of seroma, which is a buildup of fluid under the skin. Seroma usually goes away on its own, but in some cases, it may require drainage.
The vast majority of patients who undergo abdominoplasty have no complications and are happy with the results. Dr. Tobbia will do her best to ensure that you are satisfied with the results of your surgery, but it’s important to discuss your expectations with her beforehand.
What is the Cost of a Tummy Tuck in Hamburg?
The cost of a tummy tuck in Hamburg can vary depending on the complexity of the procedure, and other individual factors. It’s important to consult with Dr. Dalia Tobbia to get an accurate estimate of the cost.
We understand that choosing to undergo surgery is a big decision, and we are here to support you every step of the way to help you achieve the results you desire. Dr. Tobbia will be happy to answer any questions you may have and help you determine if this is the right procedure for you. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve your goals. Contact us online or call +49 (0) 40 46 091 076 to reach our scheduling coordinator in Hamburg.
Read more plastic surgery articles on Dr. Dalia’s blog.
- de Brito, M. J. A., Nahas, F. X., Barbosa, M. V. J., Dini, G. M., Kimura, A. K., Farah, A. B., & Ferreira, L. M. (2010). Abdominoplasty and Its Effect on Body Image, Self-Esteem, and Mental Health. Annals of Plastic Surgery, 65(1), 5–10. https://doi.org/10.1097/sap.0b013e3181bc30f7
- Sozer SO, Agullo FJ, Santillan AA, Wolf C. Decision Making in Abdominoplasty. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2007;31(2):117-127. doi:10.1007/s00266-006-0148-y
- Dini M, Mori A, Cassi LC, Lo Russo G, Lucchese M. Circumferential Abdominoplasty. Obesity Surgery. 2008;18(11):1392-1399. doi:10.1007/s11695-008-9498-7