Liposuction is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that removes excess fat to improve and slim body contours. (1) This procedure utilizes vacuum suction to rid the body of subcutaneous fat tissue in a variety of areas that can include the abdomen; ankles; arms; buttocks; cheeks; chin; hips; knees; neck; thighs; upper arms; and/or waist. (1) Liposuction helps to address stubborn fat pockets that regular exercise and a healthy diet cannot alone eliminate.
At times, this unwanted fat may remain in some regions of the body, regardless of the lengths we go to lose weight. In cases such as this, liposuction is an excellent treatment option. Through the use of liposuction, men and women can attain the aesthetic they desire, removing unwanted fat from the body safely and with utmost precision.
Dr. Dalia Tobbia helps patients in Hamburg to attain the sleek, defined bodies they desire by performing liposuction as well as other surgical and non-surgical treatments. If you are ready to take the next step and decide if liposuction may be right for you, contact our Hamburg offices today by calling 49 (0) 40 46 091 076, or through our online contact form.
Before & After Photos
Before and After Photos
Fat cells, otherwise known as adipocytes, tend to accumulate throughout the body over time as a result of diet, genetics, age, and sedentary lifestyle. A common misconception is that all fat is problematic; however, this is not the case. Fat can be very beneficial to the body in the right amounts, but when too much excess fat is stored, this is where concerns can begin to arise.
In general, fat can be broken down into two types, white and brown fat. The difference between these two is quite simple; white fat develops in the connective tissues as a result of overeating, age, a slow metabolism, or lack of exercise. In comparison, brown fat serves purely as a source of energy and surrounds the internal organs for protection. Brown fat is also referred to as “baby fat,” which are the large rolls commonly seen on babies that serve as a temperature stabilizer for infants.
The question that remains: Is there such a thing as too much fat? The answer is yes. Although smaller amounts of white fat and a moderate amount of brown fat can help the body to function efficiency, too much fat can be damaging to one’s health and can even impact their self-esteem and the way they feel in certain types of clothing. Unfortunately, most of us have areas of fat that do not respond to the efforts of diet and exercise.
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure that is designed to remove fat from isolated regions of the body. Liposuction can be used to remove these stubborn pockets of fat. The most commonly treated areas include:
- Upper arms
- Inner and outer thighs
It is important to note that although the results of this procedure are long-term and very satisfying, liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss and is not indicated to treat extreme obesity. Patients with good skin elasticity and who want to address irregular body contours due to localized fat accumulations are ideal candidates and can benefit significantly from this procedure.
Types Of Liposuction
During a liposuction procedure, the surgeon makes a small incisions adjacent to the treatment areas. From here, a hollow tube called a cannula will be manually inserted into the incisions. The attached vacuum pump suctions fat out of the body through the cannula. (1).
- Tumescent Liposuction: Tumescent liposuction is considered the gold standard of liposuction, and today’s liposuction procedures are all performed using this technique. It utilizes tumescent fluid, which is infused into the fatty tissue that will be removed. This solution contains lidocaine, epinephrine, and saline. In addition to causing the tissue to swell and making it easier to remove the fat, it also helps to numb the area and reduce bleeding during the procedure. (2)
- Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction (UAL): UAL uses high frequency energy waves to agitate the tumescent fluid, which loosens the fat from the surrounding tissue prior to removal. (1) This makes the fat easier to remove, allowing surgeons to achieve sculpted results more precisely. This procedure is ideal for sites with dense or fibrous fat tissue (i.e. male chest or on the back). And because it’s gentler than traditional liposuction, patients have a shorter recovery time with less discomfort and swelling. Dr. Dalia performs high definition ultrasonic liposuction, which allows her to sculpt chisled results, such as well-defined abdominal muscles.
After consultation, Dr. Tobbia will develop a treatment plan with a recommended type of liposuction based on your individual needs.
Benefits of liposuction include the following:
- Boosts self-esteem
- Improves appearance
- Safe, effective fat removal
- Positively impacts how you are perceived
- Permanent, sustainable results
- Eliminates stubborn fat that diet and exercise can’t eliminate
Ideal candidates for liposuction are in good health and maintain a stable weight. This procedure is suitable for both men and women who are looking to remove stubborn pockets of fat that have been resistant to diet and exercise. The patients who consider this procedure should live a healthy lifestyle, eat a balanced diet, but still have areas in the body where fat acumulates. It is important that patients do not have any underlying medical conditions that can pose risk to their recovery. They should also not be pregnant or breastfeeding. Patients should also maintain realistic expectations of the procedure’s results. Patients should have good skin elasticity, as liposuction does not treat loose skin, but instead works to target unwanted fat cells specifically. Lastly, those who smoke will be asked to quit at least three weeks prior to their procedure to ensure their safety and the best results possible.
Before you consider undergoing any surgical procedure, a physical examination and consultation will take place with our surgical expert. During your one-on-one consultation, we will discuss problem areas and localized fat that you wish to have treated with liposuction. Photographs will also be taken and diagrams will be used to explain the procedure in a step-by-step manner including limitations and possible risks. Additionally, we will address any questions and concerns you may have with the procedure. Dr. Dalia will then formulate an individually tailored treatment plan. You can expect a detailed discussion, and an explanation of the most up-to-date surgical options available. If you are ready to take the next step and see if liposuction may be right for you, our Hamburg, Germany office today at 49 (0) 40 46 091 076, or through our online contact form. We also invite you to check out our blog and learn more about our work and the services we offer that help make our patients’ lives better!
Before undergoing a liposuction procedure, our staff will provide patients with a list of
instructions that they will be asked to follow to help properly prepare for the procedure, including:
- Quit smoking at least three weeks before surgery.
- Maintain or establish healthy eating and exercise habits months before your procedure.
- Refrain from taking Asprin or other anti-inflammatory medications at least two weeks before the procedure.
- Arrange for a ride home the day of surgery as you will be unable to drive.
- Fill any given prescriptions for pain medication prior to surgery to ensure it is available to you immediately after surgery.
- Get as close to your target weight as possible.
- Prepare your home for recovery. This can include having on-hand easy-prep food items, comfortable clothing, and household assistance with children or pets.
The technique applied is based on the individual patient’s desired results and unique anatomical
characteristics. We employ only the most up-to-date, scientifically backed concepts in our surgical techniques:
- Liposuction is performed either under general anesthesia or IV sedation.
- Preoperative markings are made indicating the areas of the fat that will be targeted to ensure accurate and precise removal.
- These areas are then infused with tumescent fluid to reduce blood loss during the procedure.
- Small, discreet incisions are made allowing the insertion of various small cannulas attached to a gentle suction machine to remove the unwanted fat.
- Once an adequate amount of fat has been extracted, Dr. Dalia will dress the incisions and wrap the treatment area in a compression garment.
Under sterile conditions, this fat may also be processed and used for fat transfer. The harvested fat can be injected in areas of the body where more volume is desired, such as the breasts, buttocks, or face. Meticulous attention to detail is applied to ensure even contours and the best possible aesthetic outcome.
Recovery from Liposuction
After the surgery, the wounds are covered with plaster and compression garments are typically worn for 4 to 6 weeks to limit the swelling and aid the retraction of skin within the treated areas. These tight garments will also aid in the drainage of any residual tumescent fluid, which will continue to anesthetize the area after the surgery is complete.(2) Most patients are fully mobile and able to resume most daily activities immediately after the surgery, but it is recommended to avoid more strenuous activities, such as exercise, for about 4-6 weeks after surgery.
There will be some minor bruising and swelling, which tends to subside gradually over the course of two to three weeks. Although this procedure provides long-term fat removal, it does not prevent a patient from gaining weight in the future.
Results will become visible after a few weeks, once swelling has subsided. Full results of a leaner appearance will become visible within about 12 weeks post-op. The timeline will vary for each patient and will depend on the amount of fat removed and the areas that were treated. To ensure the longevity of the results, it is recommended to maintain a healthy lifestyle, eating a nutritious diet and exercising regularly.
Cost of Liposuction in Hamburg
The cost of liposuction will vary based on the area being treated and the extent of fat removal that is required to achieve the desired results. Like most plastic surgery procedures, liposuction is usually not covered by an insurance provider. We will be happy to provide a custom liposuction quote during an initial consultation.
How much fat can be safely removedby a single liposuction procedure?
The amount of fat that can be safely removed by a single liposuction procedure depends on several factors. In healthy patients who weigh over 90kg, it may be possible to safely remove as much as 4 – 5 liters in a single operation. However, in a healthy patient weighing around 50kg, the amount of fat removed may be limited to 1-1.5 liters.
Conversely, if the location of liposuction is in a small area such as the neck and face, then the fat removed can be as little as 20-30 mls.
- Bartow MJ, Raggio BS. Liposuction. [Updated 2022 Sep 26]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK563135/.
- Venkataram J. Tumescent liposuction: a review. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2008 Jul;1(2):49-57. doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.44159.