A body contouring procedure is an effective way to combat loose skin following significant weight loss. Whether you have undergone bariatric surgery, such as a gastric sleeve or gastric bypass, or if you have achieved dramatic results from diet and exercise alone, body contouring with an arm, back, butt, thigh, back lift, or abdominoplasty could make a real difference to your quality of life.
Body contouring is a set of surgical procedures that are designed to sculpt your body and remove the loose, hanging skin that results from massive weight loss. It can also improve muscle tone and texture for a more youthful, attractive look.
At Plastische Chirurgie Hamburg, board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Dalia Tobbia, specializes in body contouring after massive weight loss. To learn more about how body contouring can help you reach your goals, schedule a consultation with Dr. Tobbia today by calling +49 (0) 40 46 091 076 or by completing this form.
- 1 About Massive Weight Loss
- 2 Why Does Skin Sag After Massive Weight Loss?
- 3 Solutions for Sagging Skin
- 4 Arm Lift
- 5 Arm Lift Benefits
- 6 Breast Reduction and Lift
- 7 Abdominoplasty
- 8 Benefits of Abdominoplasty
- 9 Back Lift
- 10 Buttock Lift
- 11 Brazilian Butt Lift
- 12 Benefits of a Buttock Lift
- 13 Thigh Lift
- 14 Advice & Treatment
- 15 Cost of Body Contouring After Massive Weight Loss in Hamburg
- 16 FAQ
- 17 References
About Massive Weight Loss
If you’ve recently achieved life-changing weight loss, congratulations! You’ve taken the first step to improved health, self-confidence and a more comfortable life. You may also be one of over 20,000 patients in Germany who have had bariatric surgery. (1) But why does skin not simply “snap back” when you lose weight? And what do you do with all of the excess, sagging skin that is left behind?
Why Does Skin Sag After Massive Weight Loss?
Although the exact biological mechanism isn’t known, skin sagging is a common outcome of massive weight loss. It is caused by an inability for the tissue to adapt to a smaller physique.(2) Common areas of excess skin following include the following:
- Upper Arms
- Axillary Breast
- Bra Line
- Upper Abdomen
- Lower Abdomen
- Inner Thighs
Our bodies change considerably when we lose a large amount of weight, and patients are often quick to notice the residual effects, particularly those that involve excess skin.
Solutions for Sagging Skin
The upper arms are often one of the areas most affected by excess skin after major weight loss.(2) An Arm Lift, or brachioplasty, can help you achieve a firmer, more youthful shape to your upper arms. During this procedure, Dr. Tobbia will make an incision along the length of the inner arm and remove excess skin and fat. The remaining skin will be pulled taut and sutured for a smoother, more toned appearance.
Arm Lift Benefits
- Slimmer arms: Removal of excess skin and fat can help create a more slender appearance in the arms.
- Improved contours: An arm lift can help reshape and define the arms for a smoother, more toned look.
- Reduced sagging: Removing excess skin and fat can help reduce the appearance of sagging skin in the upper arms.
- Enhanced self-confidence: Having more toned and attractive arms can help improve your self-confidence.
The amount of skin removed during any body contouring procedure depends on several factors, including the patient’s age, weight, skin elasticity, and desired results.
Breast Reduction and Lift
If a woman has lost a great deal of weight, her breasts can become saggy, droopy, and/or appear deflated. A Breast Reduction and/or Breast Lift (Mastopexy) is designed to restore the size and shape of the breasts and improve their overall appearance. During the procedure, excess skin and fat are removed, and the nipples and areolas are repositioned higher on the chest.
During an abdominoplasty procedure, excess skin is removed from the abdomen. After the skin has been excised, the remaining skin is then pulled down and sutured together to create a tighter abdominal wall. The excess skin removed during an abdominoplasty is usually quite large and varies from patient to patient. By removing the excess skin, the remaining tissue can be tightened and reshaped to create a smoother, firmer abdominal area.
Benefits of Abdominoplasty
- Improved confidence in your body
- A tighter abdomen with improved contours
- Reduced bulging or sagging
- A smaller waistline
- Reduced visibility of stretch marks
- Enhanced abdominal tone
- Minimized scarring
The back is another area that can suffer from loose skin and fatty deposits after major weight loss. A Back Lift, or posterior bra-line back lift, is a procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the back, creating a more aesthetically pleasing silhouette. During the procedure, Dr. Tobbia will make an incision along the posterior bra line and remove excess skin and tissue. The remaining skin will be tightened and sutured for a smoother, more toned back.
Back lifts are an effective way to address many common concerns associated with aging or weight loss, such as loose and sagging skin, wrinkles, and even stubborn fat deposits.
The buttock area can be particularly affected by excess skin and fatty deposits after major weight loss. A Buttocks Lift, or gluteoplasty, is a procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the buttocks, creating a more aesthetically pleasing silhouette. During the procedure, Dr. Tobbia will make an incision and remove excess skin and tissue. The remaining skin will be tightened and sutured for a smoother, more toned appearance.
Brazilian Butt Lift
A Brazilian Butt Lift, or BBL, is a procedure that uses fat transfer techniques to enhance the size and shape of the buttocks. During the procedure, Dr. Tobbia will harvest fat from unwanted areas of the body, such as the abdomen or thighs, and inject it into the buttocks for a more voluptuous, aesthetically pleasing look.
Benefits of a Buttock Lift
- Improved Contours – Skin removal helps to create smoother, firmer contours in the areas where it is performed. This will help to create a more balanced, aesthetically pleasing silhouette.
- Increased Self-Confidence – Many people who undergo skin removal feel more self-confident in their appearance. This can have a positive impact on their self-esteem and quality of life.
- Minimally Invasive – Skin removal is a minimally invasive procedure that can often be performed in conjunction with other body contouring treatments.
- Safe and Reliable – Skin removal is a safe and reliable procedure when performed by a qualified, experienced plastic surgeon like Dr. Tobbia.
Excess skin on the thighs can create an unflattering silhouette. A Thigh Lift, or thighplasty, is a procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the thighs, creating a more aesthetically pleasing shape. During the procedure, Dr. Tobbia will make an incision and remove excess skin and tissue. The remaining skin will be tightened and sutured for a smoother, more toned appearance.
Dr. Tobbia is experienced in performing the most extensive skin removal possible while still maintaining natural-looking contours and proportions.
Advice & Treatment
The best way to determine if body contouring is right for you is to book a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Tobbia. During your consultation, she will evaluate your anatomy and your desired results to determine the best course of action. She may suggest combining multiple procedures to achieve comprehensive results. She will also explain the details of each procedure and the expected recovery process.
Cost of Body Contouring After Massive Weight Loss in Hamburg
At Plastische Chirurgie Hamburg, we offer a comprehensive approach to body contouring after major weight loss. With the correct combination of procedures, our patients can achieve their aesthetic goals and enjoy a more youthful, attractive physique. If you’re interested in learning more about the body contouring procedures we offer, schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Tobbia today by calling +49 (0) 40 46 091 076 or by completing our online form.
How long does body contouring last?
Body contouring procedures typically last for many years, however, the longevity of your results will depend on factors such as your genetics, lifestyle, and age. Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regimen can help extend the life of your results.
Are breast lift results permanent?
The results of a breast lift can last 10 years or longer with proper care and maintenance. However, the effects of gravity, aging, and pregnancy can cause sagging to occur again over time. To maintain the look of your breasts, it is important to wear a supportive bra and avoid any significant changes in weight.
Does a thighplasty help eliminate cellulite?
A thighplasty can help reduce the appearance of cellulite, but it won’t completely eliminate it. Cellulite is caused by fibrous connective cords that attach the skin to underlying muscle and tend to pull the skin down. When these bands are released and cut, the skin is left smoother and cellulite can appear reduced. However, cellulite can still recur due to hormones, diet, genetics and lifestyle.
How is post-weight loss skin removal different from a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck is specifically designed to remove excess skin from the abdomen area. Post-weight loss skin removal is more comprehensive and includes removal of excess skin from multiple areas of the body.
- Fink, J., Seifert, G., Blüher, M., Fichtner-Feigl, S., & Marjanovic, G. (2022). Obesity surgery—weight loss, metabolic changes, oncological effects, and follow-up. Deutsches Ärzteblatt International. https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.m2021.0359
- Elander, A., Biörserud, C., Staalesen, T., Ockell, J., & Fagevik Olsén, M. (2019). Aspects of excess skin in obesity, after weight loss, after body contouring surgery and in a reference population. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 15(2), 305–311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2018.10.032